Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Prologue to Amazing


Sommer and I met on eHarmony.

Why eHarmony? Because Gabrielle, my sister who (with her husband Jonathan) lives with me and who knew us both, didn't love us enough to introduce us to each other. Sommer and Gabrielle went to the same small group. Sommer was at Gabrielle's wedding. Sommer helped Gabrielle and Jonathan move into my house! And yet we met online.

It makes me chuckle to think of it still. Meeting someone on eHarmony is seriously hard work. Actually, meeting “someone” is easy, meeting hundreds of “someones” is cake, meeting that special someone is difficult. eHarmony is most akin to a meat market. I would peruse pictures, discarding some, saving others, feeling like a jerk, with the full knowledge that women were doing the same thing to me. I would get messages from women who were not up to my lofty standards (maybe not so lofty). You email people, ask questions, see if there is a slight chance that you might connect and see what happens.

Sommer was the first person I actually met in person from eHarmony. There were several reasons for this, the first is that the first person I was going to meet had to cancel, second, the other person I found really interesting lived in Michigan, and thirdly (and most importantly) I was on eHarmony for about 3 weeks before meeting Sommer face to face. 

 I had read all about how long the process would take and had looked up a coupon for a six month plan, I was all set for the long haul.  I had a plan.  I had a timeline!  I would meet someone, slowly get to know them, take my time, and, if we hit it off, maybe in a year or so, once I knew it was safe, I would pop the question.

And then I met Sommer.


Up next: First Date!

No comments:

Post a Comment