Saturday, January 19, 2013

First Date...for Realsies

Sommer cried on our first date....

I sweated like only my brother Seth can in 90 degree weather.....

But I get ahead of myself.

After making me wait a day or two Sommer got back to me and we made plans to meet at 7:30 the next Monday (August 27, 2012...nailed it, Sommer!) at Eli's in Morton, get a beverage, and go for a walk.

This was during the same time I was making plans (that would later fall through) to meet another girl for coffee at 3030 the Saturday beforehand.  Yes, my first dates all must involve coffee.

This is the closest I have ever come to being a "playa", as the kids are calling it, or "player" if you are white and over 40.  I even bought myself a pimp hat to look the part....but I digress!

I was "training" to run the Pumpkin Festival 10k in a few weeks.  Apparently that training consisted of drinking whiskey and beer Saturday night at Erin Feis then running 6 or so miles on Monday an hour and a bit before meeting Sommer.

I ran.  I ate dinner.  I showered.  I dressed in some hawt as *bleep* clothing.  Fun fact, I wore a super awesome black polo shirt that totally showed off my biceps.  This shirt had failed me a few weeks before and needed to redeem itself.  I also wore my super cool sneakers that are fit for nothing but looking awesome on my feet.

As some runners know, even after you run and shower, sometimes your body temperature just stays elevated for a bit...leading to sweating...even while doing nothing.

This was the state that I found myself in as I sat in front of Eli's waiting for the first hopefully-single hot chick to walk up those stairs.

I wiped sweat from my "clean shaven" brow.

I wiped again.

For the love.....

Wiped away sweat again....Hey!  Hot chick pulling up by herself!  Quick, wipe sweat away again!

Sommer walked up the stairs to me and looked inquisitively at me...I like to believe hopefully, but you never know.

We introduced ourselves to each other and walked inside.

I began to sweat again.

Sommer began tearing up.

Her contact was bothering her.  She was wiping away tears.  I was wiping away sweat.  This was going great.

"Sommer!"  called the coffee lady (Jaime), "Happy birthday!"

You have got to be kidding me.

It clicked with Jaime very quickly what was going on and she stopped talking.  I explained to Sommer that I was running earlier and that is the cause for my sweating and I swear that I have showered, just not cooling down.  Somewhere in there I slid in that it was over 6 miles.....while carrying puppies that I rescued from a burning orphanage.....I flexed.......she swooned.

We started walking.

We walked out Jefferson until the road ended then headed back.  We clicked pretty well right from the beginning.  We measured the distance we walked on the way back and discovered that it was 1.82 miles.  So we had walked 3.64 miles.  Not too shabby.  My awesome shoes that were only fit to be looked at and not really walked in were starting to fail me.

We got back to Eli's and someone that we both knew (Alyssa) was sitting there.  She, of course, told Sommer happy birthday before talking to me at all.  This kinda surprised Sommer that Alyssa knew me, but I think that the sad tale of Alyssa editing me out of a news video (or something like that) made Sommer's heart melt a little.

(Sommer likes to laugh at me at this next part and say, "This is your favorite part!"  and it is!)

I thought the date was a success and was working up a good way to let Sommer know that I wanted to see her again when Sommer said to me, "want to walk the other way now?"

Heck yes!

So we continued to walk and talk and walk. At one point I thought that I had a rock in my shoe and I stopped to get it out...only to realize that it wasn't a rock, but in fact the beginnings of a blister.

My shoes we not made to walk 5 miles in.

Neither were Sommer's.

Later we would confess to each other that our first date gave both of us blisters.

Finally Sommer couldn't handle the pain anymore and said that she needed to turn around because her shoes were not made for walking this much.  I understood completely.

As we had walked it had gotten dark and quiet in Morton.  At one point some guy turned onto the same street we were walking and proceeded to walk behind us...not passing us, not slowing down, not crossing the street, just walking at the same distance from us.

We got back to Eli's and stood there looking at each other.

As I would tell Sommer later, I'm not a suave guy, but I had a suspicion that if I went to hug her she would be open to this.

However....

That stupid guy was slowly walking past us finally...at the exact wrong time.  He had gone the same direction as we were for over a mile and was about 10 feet away from us right at that amazingly awkward end-of-a-first-date moment.

Now I can handle rejection, poorly, but I can handle it....but not with an audience.

The date ended with me suavely saying..."So I'm camping this weekend, what if I call you Tuesday?"

Antonio Banderas I am not.

Sommer was good with me calling her on Tuesday, which I then changed to Monday, but whatever.

Up next: "Walk and Talk is Good for Jonathan", in which I buy a new pair of shoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment