Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Engagement - Part 2

Sommer is not a fan of surprises.  Big surprises I should say.  Little ones like your awesome fiance having a dozen roses delivered to you at work is a wonderful thing, being asked out of the blue to marry said guy would be too much.

Side thought, can't we petition someone to remove that stupid first "r" in "surprises?  Who actually uses it?  Worthless "r"....

I knew that I had to let her know my intentions ahead of time, so at some point in November I told her that I was going to propose in January.  Putting all my cards out on the table.  I also told Sommer that I wouldn't go into debt to buy a ring.  I'm an awesome guy, but not dumb.

I then started trying to save up for a ring.  About this time in my life I was getting hit with surprise expense after surprise expense so when my sister Adiel called me out of the blue about a ring she had that she thought would be great for Sommer I was pretty excited.

The Ring

Mom had owned the ring.  She wore it all the time, in fact, the only picture of Mom and my niece Lily together that we have you can see Mom wearing the ring.

It had been an engagement ring before, my Grandmother (on my Dad's side) had given it to my mother as a sign of love and affection.  Now my Grandmother and Mother loved each other very much, but they could butt heads at time, so Mom treasured this ring.

At one point, a few years after grandma had died, someone asked Mom if she was going to get the ring insured and she said she wasn't because it would be impossible to replace.

So this was the ring Adiel wanted me to use.  She Fedexed the ring to me and I said yes....to using it.

Sommer and I had planned a trip to Chicago on December 28th, just a day trip to have fun and I thought that it would be the perfect time to propose.....and it was.....

Mostly.

Part three coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment